Jeremiah 9:23-24 Thus says the Lord, “Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor the rich man in his riches. But let him who glories, glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, exercising loving kindness, judgement and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight,” says the Lord.
We all have our dreams in life, road maps as to how we will become wealthy, acquire wisdom and even become powerful and influential. These things in of themselves are good, but how we pursue them is key; the real gain is in following God’s direction as He gives grace to receive such things. Like a captain our role is to draw these “maps” but allow God to be the compass.
It has been a week of drawing maps in my life and two things came into mind as I meditated on them:
- Opportunities are limitless– how big the map will be is within my control; somehow knowing this gave me a renewed sense of hope for the future.
- Patience and Humility underly all accomplishments– My dreams will come to pass in due time, if I stay courageous enough to pursue them and stick with them no matter what.
The reason why most of us dream small and even a bigger majority hardly ever dream is because we try to see how we can accomplish these dreams, and when we see our lack of capacity, we resign to our current state. The truth is a dream is only a dream when it doesn’t make sense yet pulls our every emotion towards achieving it. Do you ever want to earn more than enough to meet you basic needs, have a more fulfilling career, travel the world, spend more time with your kids yet provide for them? Well here is the secret..Let God be the compass. Don’t stress about how you will do it, leave it all to Him, all you have to do is to describe a compelling goal that will make something great of you when you achieve it. Like a farmer who plants seeds and takes care of them, he doesn’t stay up all night wondering how the seeds will germinate, he knows that nature takes care of the germination-so should be your attitude, plant the dream in you mind, take care of it and work steadily towards it and there is no way you can’t achieve it.
Is it really that simple? Yes it is, in fact it’s so simple that in our complicated world we find it hard to believe. I should however highlight something lest I be accused of lying, the key is not to dream passively, there is an active part to play. One of my favorite speakers, Les Brown, describes 5 things that I have to actively commit to doing if I’m to see my dream come to pass:
- Identify your dream killer..and kill it! There are three reasons that keep us from working on our dreams, Fear (of failure..or success), deception of time (thinking we can do it another day, hence becoming complacent), feeling unworthy of the dream. Take an inventory of your life and see why you haven’t reached for your dream, based on these three things.
- “If I know the why, I can endure any how” God’s leading isn’t the easiest, but the best. Have 5 compelling reasons as to why your dream should come to pass, and they will keep you in the game long enough.
- “I’m the one!” This should be your attitude, you are the special person who will make that dream come to pass, no matter how crazy it looks.
- “It’s not over until I win!” It will be rough along the way, not everyone will support you, but you should never stop running towards the dream.
- Stay Hungry– work steadily on your goals even when nothing seems to be in the horizon, prepare for the opportunities rather than find opportunities unprepared.
Dream big and commit to doing the 5 things above, and I assure you your life will never be the same again.”… Your dreams are valid”-Lupita Nyong’o.